What could be better than playing the sports you want, when you want it and at times that are good for you!
StreetGames is a national charity, established in 2006 to help promote sport for young people living in disadvantaged communities. Up and down the country, StreetGames delivers sport and dance to the doorstep of young people who are not members of sports clubs and are waiting for the chance to join in.
As well as weekly projects running in communities across the north east we also hold fantastic Festivals each year - featuring a massive range of sports and other fun activities for youth and community groups.
According to research produced by Sport England, people living in deprived areas are twice as likely not to play sport as those living in more affluent areas. There are many barriers to participation for this target group, StreetGames aim to address key issues such as;
• Lack of club infrastructure in deprived communities.
• Lower levels of aspiration and parental support impacting on access.
• Fragmented communities as a result of anti-social behaviour and crime.
The summer of 2010 saw a major change in the co-ordination of the StreetGames network across the North East when both StreetGames Project Coordinators contracts came to an end. Although the local staff will not be available, all projects will continue to work alongside Regional Manager, Su Cumming. From August 2010 please contact Su for all your StreetGames queries in the North East at email@example.com . StreetGames have exciting plans do develop this work into the future.
Click on the video below to watch a report from our most recent Festival.
Or click here to view photos from the event.
For more information on StreetGames throughout the UK, click on the banner below which will take you to the national webpage.
Tees Valley StreetGames projects
StreetGames aims to bring sport to young people all over the Tees Valley area. We have developed a number of projects with the StreetGames Charity over the past three years, bringing sport and activity to the doorstep of those who would not normally have the chance to lead an active lifestyle. We have worked with local authority sports development teams, youth services and lots of community and voluntary groups to establish projects throughout the Tees Valley. A summary of many of the projects developed is listed below and there are more details in the attachment.
- Unity City Academy - Middlesbrough
- Kick Tees Valley Football Project - Stockton
- Whinney Banks Youth Project - Middlesbrough
- Corner House Youth Project - Stockton
- Manor West project - Hartlepool
- North East Dance Factory - Middlesbrough
- Zone Active - Darlington
- Linx Project - Middlesbrough
We are also part of a regional north east network and will aim to:
• Support existing work & help develop new joint projects.
• Provide pathways into more structured sports activity (i.e. local leagues, tournaments & clubs) creating Regional & National opportunities.
• Help coordinate the possibilities for coach education, volunteering & personal development of young participants & local community members.
• Our vision is for volunteers to come from the local communities in which activity is happening so that projects can be sustained.
Please contact Paul Kreczak for all your StreetGames queries in the Tees Valley at firstname.lastname@example.org
StreetGames are looking to help support and fund small 50 people festivals. Please click here for more details.
StreetMark is the StreetGames seal of approval. It is an opportunity for projects to demonstrate that they have a commitment to the Charity and that they are committed to developing sport and activity opportunities in disadvantaged communities. As well as showing their commitment it also confirms that all the right policies are in place for example child protection, health and safety and correctly qualified coaches. StreetMark holders are members of the SG network allowing them to use the SG brand, logo and merchandising and are eligible for discounts at events and conferences and enjoy priority access to new initiatives and investments.