What is Sports Equity?
‘Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structures of sport to ensure that it becomes equally accessible to all members of society, whatever their age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality or social/economic status.’
Our Commitment to Sports Equity
The Tees Valley Sport Equity Statement and Policy demonstrate the Partnership’s commitment to deliver, influence and advocate positive change in sport and physical activity in the Tees Valley.
The Policy can be downloaded below which includes our Statement of Intent.
Statement of Intent
- Tees Valley Sport is fully committed to the principles and practice of equality of opportunity in all of its functions. In line with the host organisation Teesside University, Tees Valley Sport is responsible for ensuring that no job applicant, employee, volunteer, service user, member or person within its jurisdiction (together referred to as Stakeholders) are unlawfully discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (together the “Protected Characteristics under the Equality Act 2010”) or any other relevant characteristic.
- In addition, Tees Valley Sport recognises that that we live in a diverse society and will endeavour to ensure that all Stakeholders are given the same opportunities regardless of their protected characteristics and or socio-economic backgrounds.
- Tees Valley Sport will ensure that there will be open access to all those who wish to participate in all aspects of sport and physical activity and that they are treated fairly.
- Tees Valley Sport aims to be a caring, fair and supportive institution which seeks to optimise and enhance the experience if its staff, partners and external clients. It aims to build a culture that values being open, transparent, honest and reflective.
- To that end all employees, volunteers, clients, members, suppliers and contractors whether permanent or temporary are responsible for the promotion and advancement of this Equality Policy. Tees Valley Sport will also encourage partner organisations to adopt and demonstrate their commitment to the principles and practice of equality as set out in this Equality Policy.
Equity Policy 2017 / 18