Applying for Future Champions
How to apply
Applications to Future Champions can be made at any time. They will be considered three times each year, the closing dates for applications are;
Future Champions is an inclusive programme which seeks applications from all young people.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for support the following criteria must be met;
- the applicant’s permanent residence must be within one of the five districts in the Tees Valley – Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees.
- the applicant must be aged between 12 and 18 years on 1 December in the year of the application.
- the applicant must be a current member of a regional or national squad led by one of the 46 participating national governing bodies of sport included in Future Champions. Details of the squad should be given on the application form. Tees Valley Sport will contact the relevant NGB to verify this information.
- we would like to celebrate the achievements of our Future Champions. Athletes will be invited to attend occasional events, for example, to promote a new activity. We would also like to provide player profiles and similar publicity promoting our Future Champions. Such activity would only take place with the athlete and parent or guardian’s permission.
- successful applicants will be asked to sign an agreement with Tees Valley Sport, accepting the conditions of the support including any specific facility requirements and codes of conduct.
The Selection Process
Future Champions is coordinated by Tees Valley Sport, on behalf of its partners. A panel, representing the partners delivering and supporting Future Champions, will consider the applications from athletes three times each year. The following process will be adopted;
- Athletes complete the application form and return it to Tees Valley Sport at any time during the year.
- On receipt of an application at the close of each window, Tees Valley Sport will seek endorsement from the applicant’s national governing body of sport to confirm that the athlete is attending a regional or national squad programme. The NGB will also be asked to confirm that the athlete is not currently receiving funding through the sport.
- The selection panel will meet three times each year to consider applications.
- Successful applicants, their parents and their coach will be invited to attend an induction evening where athletes will undergo sports science testing in preparation for the programme.
There will be three induction evenings per year following the application process between 4 and 8 weeks from the application deadline dates.
- Future Champions provides support on a twelve months rolling contract. All athletes’ positions can be reconsidered at any time should the terms of the agreement not be met.
- Future Champions athletes will be invited throughout the year to volunteer their time in support of Tees Valley Sports and its partners’ events. Tees Valley Sport have an ongoing holistic approach to athlete development and would like as many of the Future Champions to engage with this to help develop wider life skill.
Baseball / Softball,
Movement and Dance,