Useful Contacts

This section provides information on who to contact if you have any concerns about the safety or welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk.


PLEASE NOTE that if your concern is regarding something that takes place/took place within a facility e.g. a leisure centre, you should inform the facility in the first instance so that they can follow their own child protection policies and procedures.

Otherwise, you may wish to follow the guidance below:

If you need to make an allegation or disclosure of abuse, or have serious concerns about the safety of a child, young person or vulnerable adult, you should immediately contact the police on 999 or the relevant social services department (see below):

The Designated Officer or team of officers (previously LADO) is a local authority role responsible for managing and overseeing concerns, allegations or offences relating to staff and volunteers in any organisation across a local authority area.

If you need to contact the Designated Officer for the local authority in question please see the attachment below.

If you have a concern that is not serious and does not require immediate action, your first point of contact would be the club’s/organisation’s child protection officer/welfare officer.

If your concern relates to an activity provided by Tees Valley Sport please call:-

Lead Safeguarding Officer, Catherine Woods on 01642 342287 or email

Alternatively, you may wish to speak to the activity organiser, relevant children’s services department, or one of the national contacts listed below for advice and support:

Contact the free, 24-hour NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 (Includes Welsh and Asian helpline services) For the textphone service for people with hearing difficulties call 0800 056 0566

NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU)
Tel: 0116 2347278 / 2347280

Tel: 0800 1111 (free 24 hour service)

National Governing Body Lead Child Protection Officers
For further details, please visit the CPSU Website.

Every Child Matters is a new approach to the well-being of children and young people from birth to age 19.

The Government’s aim is for every child, whatever their background or their circumstances, to have the support they need to:

If you have a concern related to poor practice, please speak to the relevant activity organiser.


You can report very serious abuse and neglect to Cleveland Police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency

If you are worried or want to talk to someone, contact your local Social Care Service.


01429 523 390


01642 065 070

Redcar & Cleveland

01642 065 070


01642 527 764

Evenings and Weekends

01642 524 552

If you are a professional you can report suspected abuse and neglect using a Concern Form  (March 2019).

Useful Documents