Safeguarding and Protecting Children in Sport
- Children and young people have a right to enjoy sport, free from all forms of abuse and exploitation
- All children and young people have equal rights to protection from harm
- All children and young people should be encouraged to fulfil their potential and inequalities should be challenged
- Everybody has a responsibility to support the care and protection of children
- Sporting organisations have a duty of care to children and young people who take part in sport
Tees Valley Sport's Commitment to Safeguarding
Tees Valley Sport has achieved the advanced level in the standards for safeguarding and protecting children in sport. The Partnership is now striving ahead to implement the Framework for Safeguarding Children and Young People through Sport.
Tees Valley Sport is committed to promoting the safety and welfare of children and young people engaged in sporting activities locally. It aims to contribute to safeguarding children and young people by:
- Applying the safeguarding principles and practices in ‘Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015’
- Working towards the eight themes within the Tees Valley Sport Safeguarding Implementation Plan
- Influencing and advocating at a strategic level
- Implementing and demonstrating best safeguarding practice when core staff and others working directly under the auspices of Tees Valley Sport are providing services, activities and programmes for children and young people
- Working with partners to establish and implement agreed, consistent minimum safeguarding standards for sports activities locally
- Requiring those individuals or organisations that are funded or commissioned to provide any services for children and young people to effectively address safeguarding requirements
- Maximising its influence to promote safeguarding practice and principles within its wider partnership roles and relationships
The Partnership Board endorse these aims and support the achievement of the actions in the Partnership Implementation Action Plan.
Tees Valley Sport Safeguarding Policy and Procedures
It is important that all sports organisations that receive statutory funding must have an active safeguarding policy. The Tees Valley Sport Safeguarding Policy can be downloaded below.